Hypnosis has come a long way since the early days of its inception in the 1800s to become the scientifically validated field of therapy it is today, with numerous university studies attesting to its effectiveness. Modern hypnosis has blended aspects of cognitive and behavioural therapy to first identify the dysfunctional processes that underlie an issue and then strategically address each process individually in hypnosis.
This is vastly different to stage hypnosis and bears little resemblance to what Hollywood has chosen to portray in the movies.
In fact, the therapist’s goal is not to put you to sleep, but rather to put you are in a deeply relaxed, highly focused state similar to being captivated by a movie where the world around you fades from your conscious. But that is not to say that you are not aware of what is happening around you. Like in the theater, one thing out of place and you snap out instantly. So it is with hypnosis, your subconscious mind is watching over you while you are in the hypnotic experience. One thing out of place, one word that does not ring true, and you are back in the room, alert and attentive to what is going on around you.
1. Using Strategic Psychotherapy
In the first session we chat for the first hour or so to identify the problem along with any patterns of thinking that are keeping you stuck. In this initial phase we cover the following .
- Identify the problems that underlies the issue you wish to address
- Explain why you had difficulties addressing this issue in the past
- Identify and dismantle any dysfunctional beliefs and judgments that are getting in the way of change
- Show you what we need to change to bring about lasting results
2. Using NLP Techniques
Next we give you tools and skills to allow ‘you’ to take control of your physical and mental state. In this phase we may cover any of the following depending on your individual needs.
- Give you techniques to take control of your feelings
- Give you techniques to take control of runaway thoughts and quieten that nagging critical inner voice
- Remove pictures or movies of unwanted memories from your mind
- Shift you focus away from the dramas of the past
- Focus on outcomes and strategies for the future
3. Using Ericksonian Hypnosis
Here we use deeper hypnosis to communicate with your subconscious mind and restore any dysfunctional or missing cognitive processes. Note that during this phase we do NOT put you to sleep. We put you into a state similar to the movies where you are in a dreamlike state yet still subconsciously aware of everything that is transpiring around you. During this phase we may address any of the following.
- Over sensitivity to uncertainty
- Perceived lack of control
- Catastrophising about the future
- Feelings of overwhelm
- Black and white thinking
- Tendency to avoid conflict
- Lack of compartmentalisation between work and home
We also show you what it feels like to let go and relax deeply as we take you to a place you can go any time you wish to find peace and tranquility away from the pressures of life.